In California, there are state maritime laws, federal maritime laws, and local laws that may govern the areas where boat accidents occur. Because of this, persons injured in boating accidents in California waters require the guidance and learned counsel of attorneys that have experience in these types of cases. At The Javid Trial Firm, we have the knowledge you need to recover the compensation to which you are entitled.
Boating Accident Causes
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Lack of Operator Experience: An inexperienced boater is a danger to themselves and others and are a leading cause of boating accidents.
- Speeding: A boater must consider the current weather conditions as well the number of other vessels and persons that are in the water when deciding the speed at which they should operate the boat. They must also adhere to any posted speed limit signs.
- Alcohol Consumption/Drug Use: Alcohol consumption can cause inhibition, poor judgment, and delayed reaction times, all of which can lead to a boating accident.
- Improper Lookout: Many accidents could be prevented if there is at least one passenger that serves as a lookout to spot any potential hazards, such as another approaching vessel.
- Collision With Another Vessel: There are no designated lanes for boats to travel in which can lead to many different vessels going in multiple directions. This can easily lead to a collision.
- Distracted/Inattentive Operator: Even an experienced boater can be easily distracted or inattentive, contributing to the possibility of a boating accident.
- Contact With Propeller: Accidents sometimes occur when a person in the water is hit by a propeller on the boat. This is usually due to bad piloting.
- Inclement Weather: Bad weather, such as heavy rain and lightning or strong winds, can lead to the inability to see other vessels and the inability to steer the boat.
- Equipment Failure: Even when the boat operator takes all precautions possible, the equipment on the boat may fail. In cases such as this, the manufacturer of the boat may be held liable.
- Violation Of Boating Regulations: Violating the rules of boating can lead to crashing into other vessels or going aground.
- Dangerous Water Conditions: Boat operators must be mindful of the ever-changing conditions of the water they are operating in. Failure to do so can cause the vessel to flip or sink.
Boating Accident Types
Our firm handles all types of watercraft cases, including:
- Personal Watercraft
- Jet Skis
- Fishing Boats
- Cabin Cruisers
- Inflatable Boats
- Wave Runners
- Air Boats
- Sail Boats
Boating accidents can be complicated and result in catastrophic injuries. If you have been injured in a boating accident, it is critical that you obtain a skilled attorney to represent you in your fight to recover the compensation you are owed. Contact The Javid Trial Firm today.