Persons injured in a slip and fall accident can suffer significant injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury or bone fractures. Our attorneys are well-versed in the law regarding slip and fall accidents and have the experience necessary to obtain favorable results.
Slip & Fall Accident Causes
There are many circumstances that can precipitate a slip and fall accident. Some of the more common ones include:
- Wet or uneven surface
- Trash or debris
- Loose steps
- Stairs that are freshly waxed or worn down
- Loose cords and cables
- Poor lighting
- Rugs or mats with up-turned edges
- Changes in surface level that aren’t easily seen
- Lack of warning that a dangerous condition exists
- Lack of a handrail or defective handrail
- Improper footwear
- Improperly discarded food
- Use of an improper object to reach high places, ex. Using a chair instead of a ladder to change a lightbulb
According to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), the following are true statistics regarding slip and fall accidents.
- Slip and falls are the most common cause of workers’ compensation claims
- According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than 2 million fall injuries each year
- Half of all accidental falls in the home are caused by a fall
- Every year in the United States, one out of three persons over the age of 65 will experience a fall
- For persons aged 64-85, falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death
- 22% of slip and fall accidents result in more than 31 days away from work
- Falls are the leading cause of nursing home visits
- Fractures are the most serious consequences of falls
Slip & Fall Damages
- Economic Damages: Economic damages are actual monetary damages incurred. This includes lost wages as well as past and future medical costs.
- Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic damages are abstract as they are not monetary in nature. They may include pain and suffering, loss of consortium, and emotional distress.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are only awarded in cases where the plaintiff can show that the defendant acted with gross negligence or intentionally caused the injury. They are punitive in nature and not awarded in the majority of slip and fall cases.
If you have suffered an injury due to a slip and fall accident, contact The Javid Trial Firm today.