If you feel as if your civil rights have been violated, contact The Javid Trial Firm today. Our experienced trial attorneys believe all citizens have the right to exercise the freedoms guaranteed to them through state law and the federal constitution. When these rights have been violated, we are eager to stand up for our clients and demand that their grievances be redressed.
Types of Civil Rights Violations
Citizens of California have inherent rights under the laws of the state and federal government. Some of the rights most commonly violated include:
- Right To Be Free From Unreasonable Search & Seizure: The fourth amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees protection from unreasonable search and seizures. This applies to a person's actual person, house, papers, and effects. It makes stopping a person to question them based solely on their race illegal.
- Freedom of Speech, Assembly, & Religion: The first amendment of the United States Constitution guarantees its citizens freedom of speech, the right to peaceably assemble, and the right to exercise their religion.
- Right To Be Free From Hate Crimes: The initial federal law making it illegal to threaten to use, use, or force to wilfully intervene with another was passed in 1968. It has been expanded several times since then to be more inclusive of what is considered to be a hate crime.
- Right To Be Free From Unlawful Restraint Or Detainment: When an individual is restrained and/or detained for unlawful reasons, it is considered to be a false arrest or false imprisonment. Private security firms are often defendants in these cases.
- Right To Be Handled Without Use of Excessive Force: A combination of the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment found in the eighth amendment and the prohibition of unreasonable search and seizure part of the fourth amendment, the prohibition against the use of excessive force prevents the use of any unwarranted force against another person. An example of this would be a police officer using physical force against a suspect that is not resisting arrest.
- Violation of Educational Rights: All children are guaranteed a right to free education. Unfortunately, some of these students, usually those with special needs, suffer abuse and neglect at the hands of their educators. This is a violation of their civil rights.
- Right To Work Free From Sexual Harassment: Sexual harassment is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. It prevents sexual harassment in the workplace as well as refusing to hire or firing a woman because she is pregnant or becomes pregnant.
- Right To Fair Housing: The federal Fair Housing Act and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act guarantee citizens the right to obtain housing without being discriminated against due to their disability, race or religion. These Acts also guarantee the right to apply for housing loans from financial institutions without being discriminated against.
Contact The Javid Trial Firm today to recover the compensation that you deserve.